News & Media

Living Rainforest temporarily closed (Feb 14-16 only)

The Living Rainforest visitor centre is temporarily closed due to loss of heat and power caused by a fire on Friday 13th February 2009.

Thankfully, we managed to contain the blaze and move our more cold-intolerant animals to safety with the help of the Newbury Fire Department and our dedicated team of animal experts and maintenance personnel. We were extremely lucky that our operations manager, Mr Rupert West, was on site and able to alert the Emergency Services before the fire could spread. The blaze appears to have been the result of an off-property electrical failure, which is now being rectified.

A team of engineers is working to restore power and heat to the area over the Valentine’s Day weekend.

There is a possiblity that the visitor centre will re-open after the weekend. However we are not in a position to confirm this at the present time. Please continue to check for news updates on this website or on www.newburynews.co.uk, or listen for news updates on BBC Radio Berkshire.

We apologise for any inconvenience and thank our visitors for their understanding. Every effort is being made to re-open as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply

Anti-Spam Quiz:

Entry Details

Feb
14

This entry was posted on Saturday, February 14th, 2009 at 11:52 am and is filed under News.

You can leave a comment, or trackback from your own site.

Subscribe to our newsletters

About our charity

Learn more about the work done by The Trust for Sustainable Living... Read more